Introduction! Vivian Kuang

Hi everyone and welcome to 23rd!

My name is Vivian Kuang (she/her) and I’ll be one of your vice chairs at BMUN 71. I’m a junior majoring in Political Economy and Data Science with a concentration in Race and the Law, and I'm originally from here in the Bay Area.

My academic and professional interests center on inequality, more specifically incarceration and policing, immigration, and Asian American and ethnic studies. Recently, I've become more interested in learning about ethnic studies research epistemology (the production of knowledge, and resisting traditional power structures that disempower the research perspectives of people of color and other marginalized people), as well as social movements and community organizing! I generally focus on the US in my work, but I think it's really informative and important to examine global history as well, which this committee has definitely helped me with! My hope is that this committee will be a learning experience for you as well and help you think critically about how decisions were made in the international order during the 23rd General Assembly, which was such an important time in modern world history.

This is my 3rd year in BMUN and I'm also the Under-Secretary General of External Relations this year, which means you or your advisor have probably received a lot emails from me in the past few months. Outside of BMUN, I am the Executive Editor of the Asian American Research Journal here at Berkeley, which is the first and only academic research journal devoted to Asian American issues. I am also an Undergraduate Student Instructor for the introductory data science course here at Berkeley, and compete as an ice dancer on the Cal Figure Skating team! In my free time, you'll probably find me reading, doing jigsaw puzzles, and listening to and making music of all kinds :-)

If you have any questions about committee, BMUN, or Berkeley, feel free to reach out! We want to get to know you and help you in any way we can. Get hyped for BMUN!!




My and my dais at last year's BMUN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vice Chair Introduction - Michael Miller

Vice Chair Introduction: Eric Pan

Topic B Discussion: Refugees and the Vietnam War